Site Meter

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Going Home




Sou writes:

We are now in a a town called Pakse, 659km from Vientiane.  It's been quite the whirlwind few days with two nights in my parents village, two blessing ceremonies, harvesting rice and lots and lots of family.  Uncle in Savannakhet drove us to the village with our bikes in tow.  When we left the paved road and started on the dirt path to the village, things started becoming a little surreal.  As uncle pointed out, 'this is the road I walked on for 7km and the river I had to swim across to take my finals to pass the 6th grade.'  And, 'these are the palm trees your grandfather planted so many years back.'

After a bumpy ride, we arrived and walked through the forest to a small clearing where I believe is the stupa of my ancestors.  (I am not certain) But we lit incense and words to the effect of "your child and son-in-law have come home.  Please do not be surprised."  A small pig was offered to the spirits.  We ate and drank there and the story of our biking from Vientiane was told to much laughter.  They laughed at my brown tanned skin and they wanted to know what Bryan eats.  "Does he eat sticky rice like us?"  

We went to several houses, my dad's birthhome, my mom's, my aunties.  We went to several wats to light incense at the stupa of many relatives who have passed.  An afternoon later, city Uncle returned home and we went to village Uncle's (my mom's younger brother) house where  we had some quiet time to relax and chat.  He took us on the back of his pickup to tour the village and see his fields.  It was very nice.  We saw his fish pond and his organic garden.  He showed us how he harvests rice.  I saw his water buffalos, ducks, chickens, cows, pigs.  I saw how he catches crickets to sell in the city (a delicacy).   We toured the old village where he pointed out craters formed from bombs during the war and stupas where clearly bullets had left their mark..  It was an amazing experience. 

The next day, we went to Auntie's house (dad's younger sister)  They took us out to the field and we harvested rice.  It was funny.  Auntie gave me her shirt to wear so my skin wouldn't turn dark and she gave me one of those cone hats to wear.  Bryan even tried chewing betal nut with Auntie.  It was hilarious --  his mouth was all red!!  We returned to Auntie's for a blessing ceremony and ate lunch.  We returned to Uncle's house that evening for another blessing ceremony.  The next morning, Uncle dropped us off at the main road and we have been on the road to Pakse ever since.

3 comments:

gabrielm said...

Gorgeous story and photos! Simply gorgeous.

Mmmmmm - fresh betal.

Unknown said...

Whats up porch and sou? I have been keeping track of you your travels and look forward to your next posting. I love the photos and your quick recaps of life changing tom-foolery in the far east. Awsome updates, great story telling and the pictures make me want to fly abroard!! Can't wait til you make back to the great wang in the the sun to hear about your travels in person. Much love and safe returns.....

Fish and Linda

Scott Templin said...

Bring home some beatlenut - I want to know just how painful it was. Can I get it here in the US? Why are ther no pictures of you suffering? MORE POHTOS!!!

Keep safe and can't waint to hear more!!